Blogmas #22 - My Christmas Traditions

Hey Beauty Bees,

It is only 3 days left until Christmas!! I just finished wrapping the last of the presents I bought for people and it got me thinking about what will be going on the next few days.

There are alot of traditions that my family has for Christmas time. Every year my Aunt, Uncle and cousins from Windsor swap which day they spend at my Nonna/Nonno's house with my immediate family. Since my Dad's side of the family lives in Italy, we spend both days with my grandparents on my Mom's side. 


Every Christmas Eve my Nonna makes a huge Italian dinner, which consists mostly of fish since we do not eat meat on this day. It is always funny since there are a few people in the family who do not like fish so they usually get something else but of course we still have pasta. Usually it is ricotta and spinach filled cannelloni. There are also a ton of other things that we make only today like fish salad and crespelles. 

Christmas Eve is my Nonna's birthday, so we will usually have birthday cake or tiramisu with coffee. Then depending which day my cousins are over, we will open presents from my Grandparents after dinner and do our secret Santa gift exchange. 


We then spend the rest of the day spending time together, playing games, talking and joking around. We have alot of jokesters in my family so it is always a great time. Once midnight hits, we all get together and head to midnight mass at our local church. Afterwards, alot of relatives and close friends of the family come over to my Grandparents house and we have more food (mostly snack type food).  This is how we spend the rest of the night and then head home to sleep.

When I wake up Christmas morning, I am usually the first person up and I start waking everybody up to open presents. While we wait for everyone to finally wake up and come to the living room, I always put on some sort of Christmas movie. My Sister and brother in law then come over and usually bring hot chocolate or coffee to have during present time. Once we are done opening gifts, we use to head right back over to my Nonna's house but for the last couple years we have been having Christmas Day at home and my grandparents come over to our place. Once again we have a huge dinner, this is just how Italians do it, make enough food for about a week. We usually have lasagna, soup, meat, salads, bread, pizza, desserts, and alot of wine.

Once again the day is spent with alot of family and friends coming over and just spending time with each other. It will definitely be weird next year when I am back in Boston with Chris and we start making our own Christmas traditions.

What type of traditions do you and your family have for Christmas time? Leave a comment below with them and also if you have any specific traditions when it comes to your nationality or type of food you have.

Comments